I had to cut a bigger hole than I wanted to but figured I'd cut it big enough that I could fiberglass part of the cut-out back in when we're done.
David made some nice custom heavy 1/4" steel tabs for the upper mounts.
Yep, the opening could have been about half that size..but we couldn't really tell until we cut it. Live and learn.
Oh that shock looks good in there!
On the other side I was able to make a much smaller opening based on what we learned from the first side.
Good to see the motor back in, rear cage on and motor mounts/supports fully attached again!
Despite fairly high winds David did a great job of making some nice welds in adverse conditions.
He did have to switch to the flux core wire, but that just means there was a bit more cleanup.
Before I got there David had already modified the transmission/motor supports (the bar on the left that comes down from the top.) They had to be tweaked due to the
David also had to modify this motor mount a little. Basically just cut it off and re-welded it.
While I went home to get my camera David made himself a new tool out of a broken drill bit, VW wrist pin and bit of scrap rod. It worked really well for cleaning up his welds :)